In This Article
Types of Loans
Citrus College administers the following federal student loan programs:
- Federal Direct Subsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education.
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but eligibility is not based on financial need.
- Federal Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to graduate or professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid. Eligibility is not based on financial need, but a credit check is required. Borrowers who have an adverse credit history must meet additional requirements to qualify.
Student: How To Request a Federal Direct Loan
To request a Federal Direct Loan (Student loan), submit the following:
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Request
- Complete the Student Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
- Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
To be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, you must:
- be enrolled in at least six (6) units
- submit a FAFSA application, even if you don't think you are eligible for federal financial aid
- wait to receive a "Financial Aid Offer Letter" from the financial aid department at Citrus College
- and if you are a first-time borrower, you must complete online entrance counseling and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
Parent: How To Apply for a Parent PLUS Loan
Parents of eligible students must complete the Parent PLUS Loan Application, Direct PLUS Loan MPN, and the Citrus College Federal Direct Parent PLUS Request Form.
In order for you to be eligible for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan, your student must:
- be enrolled in at least six (6) units for the term(s) requesting a loan
- submit a FAFSA application
- wait to receive an "Financial Aid Offer Letter" from the financial aid department at Citrus College before you request a loan
Things Parents Should Know
- The Department of Education will conduct a credit check on all Direct PLUS Loan applicants.
- If you have placed a security freeze on your credit file, you must lift or remove the freeze at each credit bureau before you continue. Your application will not be processed if you have a security freeze on your credit file.
- To qualify for a Direct PLUS Loan, you must not have an . If the credit check shows that you have an adverse credit history, we will explain how you may still be able to qualify for a Direct PLUS loan.
- You must also complete a Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (Direct PLUS Loan MPN) before you can receive Direct PLUS Loan funds.
- The Direct PLUS Loan MPN explains all of the terms and conditions of Direct PLUS Loans and is your legally binding agreement to repay all Direct PLUS Loans you receive under the Direct PLUS Loan MPN.
- If you have not previously completed a Direct PLUS Loan MPN, you will have an opportunity to do so after you complete this Direct PLUS Loan application.
Loan Request Forms
Maintain Loan Eligibility
First-Time Federal Direct Loan Borrowers
If you are a first-time Federal Direct Loan borrower, you must wait 30 days from the first day of your scheduled start dates of classes for your loans to disburse. If this date does not fall on one of the scheduled disbursement dates, please refer to the scheduled disbursement dates for the next available date that your loans may disburse.
Student Loan Repayment Services
Citrus College Financial Aid Department has teamed up with Solutions at ECMC to answer all of your student loan repayment questions. Solutions is a service of the non-profit organization ECMC and are dedicated to helping students manage educational loans. Their resources are available to you free of charge. To contact an ECMC Solutions student loan repayment advisor, email, webchat, or call them at (877) 331-3262.
Student Loan Repayment will resume on August 29, 2023, regardless of the outcome of Student Loan Forgiveness.
Text from the image above:
Get the wheels turning
Call ECMC Solutions
We've hired ECMC Solutions to provide you with FREE Federal Student Loan counseling services. Call a Solutions Counselor today to 'get moving' on a plan for the restart of Federal Student Loan Repayment.
ECMC Solutions | (844) 782-2333 | www.ecmcsolutions.org
Additional Resources and Information
https://www.ed.gov/subscriptions (Subscribe to receive FSA updates)