The Financial Aid Department may adjust your EFC by changing one or more of the elements in the formula used to calculate the EFC. Typically, an adjustment would only be made for financial circumstances beyond your control, which significantly affect your or your family’s ability to continue your education. In which case, the appropriate elements in the Federal Methodology formula must be changed and the EFC recomputed.
- Elementary or secondary tuition paid by the family
- Unusually high medical or dental expenses not covered by insurance, nor accounted for in the Income Protection Allowance calculation in the need analysis formula
- Unusually high childcare or dependent care expenses
- Unemployment of a dependent student’s parent or an independent student
- Cases where a student or a student’s family member is a dislocated worker
- Natural disasters impacting a family’s income or assets
- Conversions of traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs
- Circumstances related to the COVID-19 national emergency
- This list is not exhaustive; the Financial Aid Department may consider other circumstances presented by the family or student if they are unique to the individual student
Income Used For Eligibility
Your financial aid eligibility is determined by your income and asset information submitted on your financial aid application. Under special circumstances, the Financial Aid Department will determine the 12-month period that best reflects the family’s current circumstances and will be used to calculate the data elements of the EFC formula. Your current financial aid eligibility is based on the following:
- The 2021-2022 year is based on your 2019 income and asset information.
- The 2022-2023 year is based on your 2020 income and asset information.
How to Begin the Appeals Process
You may appeal by doing the following:
- Contact the Financial Aid Department using the Financial Aid Request Form to speak with a Financial Aid Technician. Please be prepared to describe your situation in detail.
- As each case is unique, the Financial Aid Technician will guide you through the process, including any additional documentation.
- If it is determined that your exceptional educationally related expenses may qualify you for a Cost of Attendance Adjustment, the Financial Aid Technician will assign you an Expected Family Contribution Appeal which can be completed online at citruscollege.studentforms.com.