Recording of the Scholarship Writing Workshop
Missed the workshop or want to watch it again?
You can watch the recording here: 2023-2024 Scholarship Workshop Recording
You can download the PowerPoint here: 2023-2024 Scholarship Workshop PowerPoint
2023-2024 Scholarship Writing Prompt
Please submit a formal essay detailing your academic goal(s) and how receiving a scholarship will help you accomplish your goal(s).
- Describe any barriers (life experiences and/or hardships) to higher education that you have or are facing.
- Detail any community service and leadership experiences you have.
- Include your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and any other relevant information.
Your response must be between 250-1000 words
2023-2024 Scholarship Writing Expectations
Your scholarship essay will be evaluated using the following writing expectations:
- is original, focused, and fully addresses the prompt.
- can be traced throughout the essay.
- is proven/demonstrated by the end of the essay.
Organization and Structure
- has seamless transitions between and within body paragraphs, from subtopic to subtopic.
- of the essay builds upon itself and works to create an impactful conclusion.
Use of Evidence
- is fully contextualized for the readers.
- utilized in the essay offers specific and personal evidence that is relevant to the prompt.
Argument and Connections
- demonstrates a thorough understanding of the prompt.
- shares relevant and deep insights while examining their evidence.
- makes connections throughout the essay that are explicit.
- explains the your own thinking and the implications for the future.
Audience, Language, and Grammar
- is written with a professional and academic audience in mind, which is reflected in the language.
- has little to no grammatical errors.